Both blogging and vlogging are initially used as means to store and share information and stories by any person, company, organization, or brand. Nowadays, they are used as a marketing tool to promote a person (social influencers) or a business. These two are viewed as a reliable source of information since normally people look for tangible proofs and experiences of others as a basis in seeking what is true and trustworthy.
A blog is described as a discussion or a source of information about certain topics and it normally consists of articles and personal opinions or facts by one or more authors (Wikipedia). It is a combination of “web” and “log” that was eventually coined as “weblog” then finally, became popularly known as a blog.
It is a platform or medium that serves as an extension of a website that is utilized by writers to express their opinions. While a vlog is a blog that features or highlights video content (eMarketing Institute).
On the other hand, a vlog is a video blog or video log. It may be a direct video or video combined with selected photos or images. Furthermore, when it comes to purposes and effects, there are several similarities.
For example, both blogs and vlogs drive traffic. These two provide both value and entertainment. Bloggers’ and vloggers’ ideas, perspective, or even their interests influence their audience extremely. Blogs and vlogs share an equal earning opportunity.
The similarities between blogging and vlogging are remarkable yet there are also striking features and aspects that differentiate them. We can identify these qualities according to their types, uses, mode of operation, medium of communication, medium of people engagement, popularity, and cost.
Types of Blogs
First, let’s go over some of the most popular types of blogs.
- Personal Blog- This serves as a means of imparting or expressing your thoughts, ideas, perspectives, and experiences.
- Business Blog- This type of blog concentrates on certain topics that are related to business strategies and other significant topics connected to businesses.
- Niche Blog- Usually, this type of blog focuses on one topic which enhances the blogger’s credibility through topic specialization.
- Affiliate Blog- Affiliate links are recommended on this type of blog. It could be about certain products, services, or even other sites. Through featuring the product reviews or other related content you simply refer or promote these affiliate links.
There are tens of others out there depending on your niche.
Types of Vlog
There are innumerable vlogs present online due to the different interests of the people. These types of vlogs arise based on the topics chosen by the vloggers.
- Music Vlogs – You can share anything about music. May it be about your journey of the song (from writing to recording). This will include your inspiration, the people who helped you in the process, etc.
- Vlogs on Product reviews – This is typically a one-stop-shop for people who want and need information about something. Product reviews about movies, books, food, gadgets and devices, theater, and anything under the sun.
- Gaming Vlogs – Game channels
- Comedy Vlogs – These types of vlogs are popular and they tend to get viral immediately since everyone loves to watch good pranks and comedies.
- Fashion Vlogs -One of the largest markets for various products is beauty and fashion.
- Lifestyle Vlogs – Lifestyle vlogs showcase your everyday life to the world. Lifestyle vlogs are authentic and unscripted. Showing your unique lifestyle will instill interest in your viewers.
- Sports Vlogs – This encompasses all the sports that you might want to feature. This includes not only the game or sports per se but also tips and plans for sports education, lessons, materials, and resources that you may cover depending on the set goals. Specific team portfolios will also help augment the content of the video that might be interesting and helpful to the viewers.
- Educational Vlogs – Vlogs that discuss school life. This may include specific subjects, lessons, and other noteworthy topics that revolve around education. This is supremely helpful to parents and students who wanted an easier explanation about a certain topic. Educational vlogs are oftentimes reviewed all over again so it can immensely enhance your viewing rate.
- Travel Vlogs – Documentation about your travel experiences. This serves as a basis and review to guide others in their travel destination.
The following are types of vlogs according to the genre:
- Unboxing Vlogs
- Tutorial Vlogs
Uses of Blogs and Vlogs
Blogs are done in written form while obviously vlogs are accomplished in video format. Ideas, views, and teachings are all in video form when you are vlogging. Blogs differ from vlogs in the medium of communication used.
Moreover, they also differ in the medium of people’s engagement. Since bloggers express their ideas in writing, people are oftentimes captivated by how catchy, realistic, practical, and interesting the writer’s content is. While in vlogging people are being drawn on the quality of video produced. Another differing aspect is popularity.
Due to the fact that video content feeds the sense of sight and hearing, people are more captivated by vlogging. It makes the content more credible and easy to grasp and understand given that people believe more in what they can see compared to what they can only read.
However, when it comes to cost (time and money), vlogging is more expensive than blogging. Shooting, editing, and uploading videos entail larger costs.
Advantages of Blogging vs Vlogging
Several and diverse are the opportunities as well as setbacks encountered in blogging and vlogging. But tremendous favorable outcomes outweigh the challenges in making blogs. Blogs are very easy to set up. It does not require high-level technical knowledge. There are free platforms that you can exhaust in creating your own blogs. It also does not entail any equipment except your laptop or desktop and an internet connection.
While vlogging on the other hand easily catches people’s interests since they are effortlessly watching it compared to reading blogs. Generally, people are more drawn to watching than reading. Furthermore, vlogging is more flexible and it increases your reach since you can employ it in any way you want.
For example, using a screencast or another means to show your video. There are also a variety of editing tools you can use according to your standards, goals, or desired outputs. Therefore these available tools make it faster and easier to produce video content. In this technologically advanced generation words alone are not enough to fully express all the things you wanted to convey.
Through vlogging, imparting highly technical skills and concepts are properly delivered. Aside from that benefit, enhanced entertainment is added since the vlogger’s personality is also shown. Not to mention its convenient setup on mobile devices.
Requirements of Blogging and Vlogging
Passion is always a prerequisite in any aspect that involves success and contentment. It is equally the same with blogging and vlogging. Yet passion without knowledge will drive you to the edge of failure and shame.
Blogging requires in-depth knowledge in utilizing SEO or Search Engine Optimization. The use of keywords, meta-tagging, and appropriate descriptions is vital to generate online traffic.
Aside from these necessary steps you also need to maintain your position through regular uploads of blogs. Uploading substantial blog content is a must. Take note of substance in your content which means your blogs must be written in an appealing manner. Lastly, secure a stable blogging platform that suits your writing style. This will truly augment your blogging performance and satisfaction.
Vlogging on the other hand has a slightly different terrain. It does not necessitate professional writing skills since it mostly needs to be conversational and casual as long as the subject of the discussion is interesting enough to drive curiosity and secure engagement from the audience.
However, when it comes to the technical requirement it needs a more complicated setup compared to blogs. Several types of equipment are used to create high-definition and quality video content. Since it requires professional editing software it also needs a longer time to fully accomplish and deliver your content.
Blog and Vlog Monetization Opportunities
Getting a high revenue stream and monetization is not impossible. Through proper application of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) a stable and satiable earning is at hand. Another way of monetizing blogs is via placing ads on it. A great ad on your blogs supported by excellent SEO will surely boost your earnings. Creating blogs with sponsored posts and reviews will build your blog income. Begin with writing reviews on the products. Then gently and surely transitioning into promoting brands is an impressive way of pitching and earning through your blogs.
Selling or marketing your own physical or digital products. Start selling products and accept payments through credit and debit card payments.
Gaining profit through affiliate marketing is another way of earning through blogs.
Vlogging can also generate profit with sponsored videos the same with blogs. You can also use blogs to promote products and services. A convenient way of earning through your video content is via the Youtube monetization platform.
However, aside from the Youtube monetization platform, there’s an alternative avenue that you can earn through your quality video content without the burden of reaching thousands or millions of views. Just like blog ads, video content also has advertising video on demand (AVOD). In this way, videos are entirely free however it is abruptly interrupted to give way to ads. Sometimes vlogs are bracketed or overlaid with advertisements.
Another means of monetizing vlogs is through SVOD or what we called a Subscription video on demand. Earnings are acquired through monthly feeds so that the viewers will not be bothered by any ad interruptions. Then finally we also have the transactional video on demand (TVOD) in which viewers or users are obliged to pay for the rent or purchase of the video contents. Some vloggers also combined these varied means to monetize their content.